Help with the cost of food for the elderly or disabled

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Printer Friendly (pdf)

Food Supplement (SNAP) can help you if you are elderly (60 years old or older) or disabled, especially if you are living on a fixed income.

Whether you own your home, live in elderly housing or a group home, or have moved in with family, you may get help.

What special rules apply to me if I am elderly or disabled?

  • If your monthly out-of-pocket medical expenses are higher than $35 per month, you can get the benefit of a medical deduction. This may increase your Food Supplement benefits.
  • Your assets, such as your home or your automobile, will not be counted. Savings over $5000 may be counted.
  • If you get LIHEAP, your Food Supplement benefits may go up.
  • You do not have to meet any work requirements.
  • You can choose someone you trust to be an Authorized Representative. They can use your SNAP card to buy food for you.  Any household member can also use the card.

How do I apply for help?

  • You can apply by:  1) going to your local DHHS office; 2) calling 1-855-797-4357, option 3, to ask them to send an application to you; 3) you can apply on-line at My Maine Connection; 4) you can call 1-800-442-6003, option 1, or 5) You can print off a paper application from
  • If everyone in your household is elderly and an SSI recipient, you can apply at your regional Social Security office.  Otherwise, you apply at DHHS.
  • Most people can complete the interview requirement by scheduling a telephone interview.  You do not need to get a photo on your card.

If I am not 60 or older, how do I know if I meet the disability test?

  • You are considered disabled if you get a government disability benefit. This includes: SSI (Supplemental Security Income), SSDI, MaineCare for the elderly or disabled, a state or federal disability or retirement benefit, or veteran’s disability benefit.

What can I do if I run into problems?

You can get free help from the following organizations:

  • Legal Services for the Elderly (60 and older). Call 1-800-750-5353
  • Pine Tree Legal Assistance.  Call (207) 255-8656 if you live in Washington or Hancock County.  For other counties check the following for contact numbers:
  • Maine Equal Justice: Call (207) 626-7058
Library Category: