Food Loss From Power Outage

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Do you get Food Supplement benefits?  Have you lost any of your food due to a power outage or other similar event?

If this has happened to you, you may be able to get replacement Food Supplement benefits.

When Can I Get Replacement Food Supplement Benefits?

You can get replacement Food Supplement benefits if you have a “household misfortune.”  A federal or state disaster declaration is not required.

Household misfortune includes losing food from your home if:

  • a local or neighborhood power outage lasts 8 hours or more,
  • your utilities are shut off (for any reason),
  • your freezer or refrigerator stops working, or
  • a fire, flood, or storm causes damage.

How do I apply for replacement benefits?

Within 10 days of the incident or end of the outage, contact DHHS at 1-855-797-4357 to report the loss of food. You will be sent a form to fill out and return to DHHS.  The sooner you get DHHS this form, the faster you get your replacement benefits.

What happens next?

DHHS will verify the power outage or fire.  If you have had a utility shut off or appliance failure, DHHS may ask you for proof. You do not need to show them the spoiled food!

If you are eligible, DHHS can replace the value of the food lost up to one month’s worth of your Food Supplement benefit.

If you have questions about this information or if you have asked for help and been denied, please call Karen at 866-626-7059, ext. 205.

Library Category: